Today, while at work, my body was feeling a little stiff and sore from workouts I’ve done the last few days, so I went from a standing position into a squat (ass to the floor) and just kinda sat there in that position for a few minutes. While I was sitting there enjoying the way this position felt on my stiff and sore body, I realized how limited I am in my movements at work each day. As a teacher I spend most of my day standing, with a little bit of walking and an even less amount of sitting. I consider myself lucky that I can at least stand and walk all day and that I’m not stuck sitting at a desk. Now I’m not saying I expect to be able to do a workout at work, but I could definitely incorporate more movement into my day.
So here’s my brainstorm list of ways to move more at work:
- Participate in Brain/movement breaks that I guide the kids through
- Squats or stretches on my lunch break
- Calf raises while standing
- Glute squeeze: firmly contract your glutes and thighs and hold for 10 seconds
- Ab brace: tighten your ab muscles as if you were about to be punched in the stomach and hold for 10 seconds
- Shoulder stretch: bring one arm across chest and place other arm under and in front to it. Pull your arms close to your chest and hold.
- Stand with your feet under your hips and sway from side to side, even holding and stretching on each side.
If you have any other suggestions, please leave them in the comments!